UULM-MD Legislative Kick-Off 2018
UUs Taking Action in Challenging Times
Saturday, January 20, 2010
8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia
8:30 Registration, Continental Breakfast, Conversation
9:00 Welcome and Chalice Lighting – Rev. C. Paige Getty
Overview of Meeting and Announcements – Steve Buckingham
9:30 Keynote Address – Hon. Cheryl D. Glenn, Chair, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland
with Introduction by Liz Bobo
2018 Priority Issues
- Climate Change
- Economic Justice
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Health care
Business Meeting, Election of Board, and Call to Action – Steve Buckingham
Issue Area Discussion Groups
- Climate Change - Margery Knight
- Economic Justice - Craig Beyler
- Criminal Justice - Candy Clark
- Health care - Betty McGarvie Crowley
- Emerging & Previously Supported Issues – Board member
*Snow Date is Saturday, January 27, 2018*
During the 2018 Session of the General Assembly, UULM-MD, along with our partners in the Maryland Climate Coalition, will be supporting the Clean Energy Jobs Initiative. This bill will propose:
- increasing Maryland's Renewable Energy Portfolio (RPS) to 50% by 2030;
- removing waste incineration from the Tier 1 level of subsidies in the state's RPS policy;
- seeking funding opportunities to invest in job training, capital and loans for minority-, veteran-, and women-owned businesses in the clean energy area.
More clean, renewable electricity to power our homes and businesses will benefit our health, our economy, our climate, and our communities and place us on a pathway to achieve 100% renewable energy in Maryland.
Please join us on Lawyers Mall to show our support for overriding the Governor’s veto of HB 1, the Healthy Working Families Act, on January 11, 2018.
The override vote will occur in the first few weeks of session and this is our opportunity to show the legislators how enthusiastic we are about the bill and securing earned sick leave for over 700,000 Marylanders who currently have no earned sick leave and could be fired for taking a day off sick.
We’ll be there with our banner to show our solidarity. Please RSVP if you think you may be able to come. See you there!
If you are unable to attend, please contact your legislator and urge them to vote to override Governor Hogan's veto.
2018 Maryland General Assembly